08 September 2007

Tires Spitting Gravel, But At Least The Wheels Are In Motion

Getting this thing rolling in the right direction is harder that it looks on paper. My mind has a strong urge to bump me off the road and take over.

The reading I have done recently has given me a goal. But my mind is content with forgetting those books. The books in reference are ones you will now see in the right sidebar.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

This is one of the best books I have ever read. At the same time, it was the hardest book I have ever read. I fought through every chapter, wondering if I was dreaming after each one. I saw things differently after the read. I'll dive into what made it hard for me to read, but first, a run down of the book.

In this "Guide To Spiritual Enlightenment", Eckhart Tolle teaches us that we are not our mind. Our mind is not supposed to be "chewing" on things of the past and/or future. He explains that we, as humans tend to let our minds run wild. And with the mind replaying past events in full detail for you, it is also defining you as a human. Tolle teaches throughout the book to gain control over the mind by "watching the thinker". The more you watch your mind, the less power it has. The mind hates Now. It will do anything it can to keep you locked on a past event and the feelings associated with them. If you were "In The Now", you would be able to shut down your mind, give it a rest and benefit from the freshness of every thought you would "need" to make.

There are many tools offered as to the Hows of Now. Some involve getting inside of your body, or using your pain as a way in. Tolle even mentions that women are more likely to experience "enlightenment", due to the fact that have a pain to focus on every month.

Overall, this book lays your belief system on the chopping block does not hesitate to lay down the law. Once it has you though, it takes you on a trip through all the possibilities of what it can be like, to be in the Now.

There were a few things that made this book really hard to read. The references to Now or Being was confusing at first. Some of the techniques used to getting into a Now state involve shutting your mind down. Well, when you read, you use your mind. So, I was constantly putting the book down and practicing what I had read. It was a up and down battle, but worth every day spent and page read.

I will talk about Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier tomorrow.

More like a book review, but it's my blog...


Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: